August 22, 1890, East Coast Advocate - excerpts from "Local News"
- Saturday last registered the lowest temperature, for that date and month since the Signal Service office has been established on the Indian River, which is July 1887
- I suppose everyone already knew what that temperature was since the paper didn't report it.
- Mr & Mrs H,B. Hersey are back in their old quarters again at the Indian River Hotel; and their bear now has a residence on the grounds east of the hotel, causing a good deal of amusement for the guests
- A bear in residence on the grounds of the Indian River Hotel?. That was downtown, right on the river. That was two blocks from our house!
- One of the popular young ladies belonging to the Bathing Club had a narrow escape from serious mishap last week, having ventured into water the depth of which she knew not. As we should grieve to lose this young lady from our midst, we must ask her to be less venturesome in the future, or we shall have to publish her name. She is too good to succumb to an early and premeditated fate.
- The Bathing Club was at the Indian River Hotel. Maybe she was trying to escape the bear!